How to Ask?
I am generally happy to provide recommendation letters to students. Please, understand that to write the best possible letter, I need information.
I appreciate it if you could share.
- A deadline! (It does not have to be your deadline, asking for the letter earlier is fine, as long as you ask reasonably early),
- The name of the scholarship / internship / grant / position to which you are applying, with a link if possible, with a short description if not,
- Your current resume,
- What is it that makes you think that you are a good fit for that scholarship / internship / grant / position,
- What is it that you think could increase your chances of obtaining it.
If, additionally, you could provide:
- How you know me (typically, when you had me as an instructor),
- Some ideas as to what I should include in your letter,
- The contact of the person likely to contact me about your application (if you have it),
this would make your letter even stronger.